Monday, July 16, 2012

Birth Story: Part One

Note: This story is extremely special and personal.  If it weren't for the fact that I felt the need to read a thousand birth stories before having my own, I probably wouldn't be posting this.  I want to shed light to those pregnant ladies who aren't sure what's coming. Every birth story is different, but knowing some of the possibilities of how things might go can bring comfort.

I'm going to do this in parts.  It's a long story.  

When I hit week 38 my brain immediately went into let's-get-this-baby-out mode.  On Monday (July 2nd) I bought a yoga ball and bounced my heart out.  On Tuesday I got my membranes stripped and walked three miles.  On Tuesday night I thought I was going into labor.  On Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and all day Saturday I had contractions.  Contractions that were semi-painful and that I would soon learn were definitely not real contractions.  I had decided Thursday night that I was done trying to self-induce.  This baby was coming when he was ready.  Friday I went to work like normal and Saturday Frank and I decided we were going to have a day for us.  I had an appointment Saturday morning and on a whim decided to take a mirror picture.  My caption for the picture on Instagram was, "I hope this is the last picture I take pregnant."  Little did I know....

Saturday afternoon Frank convinced me to go on a boat ride down the river so he could go off the rope swing.  We jokingly talked about what we would do if I went into labor while on the river because getting back and off the river would be no easy task.  After swimming and riding back we decided to head back to the apartment because we were both starving.  Frank made us breakfast for dinner and then I went and laid down.  I thought to myself while laying down, "I don't know if I could make it through labor tonight, I'm so tired."  Frank decided he was going to go fishing and came into the room around 7:55 to tell me bye.  As he was walking out the door I felt a small gush of fluid come out! I told Frank "I'm either peeing myself and can't make it stop or my water just broke!"  He told me that I was peeing myself but quickly realized I wasn't.

I wasn't feeling any contractions so I didn't feel the need to head to the hospital right away.  I called my mom (who rushed right over), finished packing our bags and took a shower.  We took a few pictures and then hopped in the car to head to the hospital!

Hospital arrival: 8:45 PM
Contractions: Irregular
Water Actually Broken?: Yes
Plan: Wait


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. Thank you for sharing your birth story, I can't wait to read the rest. I've loved the photos of your sweet babe on instagram.. Hope you and he are both doing well.